Saturday, August 23, 2008

So why 2719?

As a new recruit, I just recently had to choose my 501st TK ID number.

There's a lot of numbers already taken, but I still wanted to choose a number that was special to me in some way. The number I wanted was 2719. This was actually my first and only choice and the others I came up with were just back-ups if I couldn't get it.

I work as an Animator and animation history is important to me. Walt Disney and the great Disney animators like Ward Kimball, Freddie Moore, Milt Kahl, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston are heroes of mine. But Walt himself was a true visionary and it was his drive and determination that virtually created animation as a popular art form. I feel that I have the career that I have because of him. I doubt I will ever work for the Disney Studios, but Cartoon Network ain't half bad!

Anyway, 2719 Hyperion was the address for the original Disney Brothers Studios in Los Angeles, CA, the animation studio Walt and his brother Roy started fresh off the train from Kansas City, before Mickey Mouse was created. 2719 honors Walt at the start, before the fame and the popularity. It signifies the hard work and hard times building an industry and art form that I love.

1 comment:

TB7024 said...

Cool reasoning! I picked some numbers that I liked together for my TB ID. Membership is still pending... We'll see which I get.